Insurance for Graduate Assistants

Graduate students who have a graduate assistantship appointment of 33 percent or higher are automatically enrolled and billed for the university’s student health insurance plan during each insurance coverage period. The student’s employing department pays 79 percent of the premium. The graduate assistant pays the remaining 21 percent of the premium.

Students should ACCEPT the insurance each enrollment period to gain access to their online account through the insurance provider, UnitedHealthcare Student Resources.

Domestic graduate assistants may apply to WAIVE from purchasing the university’s student health insurance plan. NEW Proof of equivalent health insurance coverage IS required for domestic graduate assistants. Health insurance coverage IS required for domestic as well as international graduate assistants.

Waiver Process

Waiver applications for spring 2024 are due by midnight February 12, 2024. If insurance is not waived by this date, the insurance charge will be non-refundable.

  1. Allow pop-ups on your computer.
  2. Go to MyRED
  3. Go to the Student Accounts tab
  4. Under Important Links, choose Waive International Student Health Insurance and answer the questions. (If you DO want coverage, choose “I want my UNL Health Insurance.”)
  5. Once the waiver process is complete, your insurance charge will be credited to your student account.