International students with “F” or “J” visas registered for classes at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln are required to have health insurance. These students automatically are enrolled and billed for the university’s student health insurance plan during each insurance coverage period they are enrolled in classes.
Students should ACCEPT the insurance each enrollment period to gain access to their online account through the insurance provider, UnitedHealthcare Student Resources.
International students may apply to WAIVE from purchasing the university’s student health insurance plan if they have proof of equivalent health insurance that is either U.S.-employer based or government-sponsored and meets the following qualifications.
- U.S.-employer based
- Must comply with the Affordable Care Act
- Must include unlimited medical evacuation/repatriation coverage. (If coverage is not included, the student must purchase standalone coverage for waiver.)
- Government-sponsored/guaranteed program where a current financial guarantee is on file with the university.
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM)
- Embassy of Oman
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Non-degree-seeking J1 international students should check with the International Student and Scholar Office for waiver details.
All other forms of health insurance are not accepted and will not qualify for a waiver. You will be charged the full amount of the UHCSR student health insurance plan if you purchase an alternative plan before verifying that it meets the above waiver requirements. For questions about whether an alternate plan meets waiver requirements, contact United Healthcare's Campus Advocate at 866-351-4262.
When necessary, the university will verify additional information such as insurance carrier financial rating and United States claims processing contact information.
Waiver applications for Fall 2022 are due by midnight September 12, 2022. If insurance is not waived by this date, the insurance charge will be non-refundable.
- Allow pop-ups on your computer.
- Go to MyRED
- Go to the Student Accounts tab
- Under Important Links, choose Waive International Student Health Insurance and answer the questions. (If you DO want coverage, choose “I want my UNL Health Insurance.”)
- Once the waiver process is complete, your insurance charge will be credited to your student account.